Correction to Newsletter: Kindergarten- 3rd grade will wear costumes on Tuesday October the 31st. Check with your classroom teacher for additional details. Please see below for costume guidelines.
Halloween Guidelines1. Costumes that would otherwise violate the Student Dress Codes Policy (Superintendent Policy Code: 5060) will only be allowed if approved by an administrator prior to wearing to school. For safety reasons, masks or makeup should not cover the student’s face in a manner that makes the student unrecognizable. Masks or makeup that conceal student’s identity may be worn only during designated times such as during a costume contest.
2. Toy or facsimile guns are not allowed.
3. Other toy weapons (knives, swords, bats) should be pre-approved by administrators and are only allowable if the item is clearly a toy.
4. Costumes that are overly graphic, promote violence or otherwise might logically be assumed to be offensive to others are not acceptable.
5. Costumes that are sexually suggestive and would otherwise violate the school’s dress code are not appropriate.
6. Costumes should not include items with sound effects, lights or other components which would disrupt the classroom learning environment.
7. Regarding costumes that may not be clearly addressed by these guidelines, students should be instructed to have the costume pre-approved by an administrator prior to wearing to school.
Halloween Guidelines Addendum (RE: Clown Costumes)
As you may recall, last year the Five Star District prohibited students and staff from wearing clown costumes on school grounds due to social media threats nationwide. Although we have not been made aware of any similar threats this year, district leadership made the decision to leave this prohibition in the 2017 Halloween guidelines. As always the safety and security of students and staff is our first priority, therefore students and staff are prohibited from wearing clown masks or costumes on school grounds. This adjustment was made in the best interest of the school community and creates a safe environment for students and staff at Halloween celebrations this year.
Keep in mind, district and school leadership will reevaluate the guidelines each year and make adjustments as needed to ensure a safe celebration for the entire school community. Students who violate or are suspected to be in violation of this policy will be referred to school administration.